Pokemon Go continues to swiftly move from one event to another, and it’s the time of year once more where we get an Ultra Unlock event.
The 2021 Ultra Unlock brings with it a bunch of special timed Ultra Unlock research quests that’ll live alongside the current month’s missions, and the opportunity to catch a range of rare Pokemon or shiny variants – either through the missions or through other aspects of the game such as egg hatches, raid battles, or simply regular spawning out in the world.
If you’re new or returning to Pokemon Go after a while away, these events are pretty simple – they mix up the spawning and missions available in-game to give you access to rare Pokemon, or even Pokemon you wouldn’t usually be able to access at all, as well as net other rewards that’ll be helpful in your journey to becoming a Pokemon Master.
Like any Pokemon Go event, the Space Ultra Unlock 2021 segment has a confirmed end-time: the event will cease on Tuesday 17th of August at 8pm local time. At this time the event as described below will stop, and it’ll be replaced by part 3, which will introduce Galar-region Pokemon. We’ll update this page when that time comes.
On this page we run down the key components of the Space themed Ultra Unlock 2021 event: the Limited Space Timed Research, the special Ultra Unlock Field Research, and the changes to Wild Pokemon Spawns, Eggs, and Raids. Have at it!
Ultra Unlock 2021 Part 2: Space Timed Research
To find this special limited-edition Ultra Unlock 2021 string of timed research, you simply need to navigate to the correct menu and start the quests. To get there, press the button in the bottom-right of Pokemon Go (it’s often orange – there you’ll find three tabs, Today, Field, and Special. Today is current events, while Field refers to the current month’s Field Research quests.
Special refers to special quest lines – which is what these first Ultra Unlock quests are. These quests can only be completed once – they’re a special one-time deal.
The following Timed Research quests are available during the Ultra Unlock: Space event, and forms the first major part of the ongoing Ultra Unlock event, which runs through until Tuesday August 17th at 8pm local time. You can casually complete these quests during this time, providing resources, Pokemon encounters and other rewards:
Space Ultra Unlock 1/5
- Catch 10 Pokemon (Munna encounter)
- Make 5 Nice Throws (Clefairy encounter)
- Transfer 5 Pokemon (7x Nanab Berry)
- Completion Rewards: (10x Pokeball, 484 XP, 5x Ultra Ball
Space Ultra Unlock 2/5
- Catch 10 Pokemon (8x Razz Berry)
- Use 5 Razz Berries to help catch Pokemon (Lunatone encounter)
- Use 5 Nanab Berries to help catch Pokemon (Solrock encounter)
- Completion Rewards: (10x Pinap Berry, 484 XP, 5x Ultra Ball
Space Ultra Unlock 3/5
- Catch 10 Pokemon (Gastly encounter)
- Make 5 Great Throws (Duskull encounter)
- Make 5 Nice Throws in a row (Shuppet encounter)
- Completion Rewards: (15x Pokeball, 484 XP, 5x Ultra Ball
Space Ultra Unlock 4/5
- Catch 15 Pokemon (6x Pinap Berry)
- Make 7 Great Curveball Throws (Shellos (East Sea) encounter)
- Make 7 Nice Curveball Throws (Shellos (West Sea) encounter)
- Completion Rewards: (12x Razz Berry, 484 XP, 5x Ultra Ball
Space Ultra Unlock 5/5
- Catch 6 Psychic-type Pokemon (Elgyem encounter)
- Win a Raid (Espurr encounter)
- Make 2 Excellent Throws (1x Silver Pinap Berry)
- Completion Rewards: (20x Pokeball, 3000 Stardust, 5x Ultra Ball
Space Event Field Research – Ultra Unlock 2021 Part 2
In addition to the above locked-in special timed quests, the 2021 Ultra Unlock brings with it a bunch of special field research – and unlike the timed special quest, these aren’t immediately available to you. Instead, these are event-exclusive missions that appear the same as any other field research – spawning when you spin PokeStops at stand-alone stops or at the top of gyms.
These missions have a random chance to appear alongside all of the other ongoing Field Research, but during the event times, they clearly are slightly more likely to appear than the regular quests. These quests form part 2 of the Ultra Unlock 2021 event – and the quests are as follows:
- Catch 15 Pokemon: Staryu encounter (shiny chance)
- Make 5 Nice Curveball Throws: Lunatone or Staryu encounter (shiny chance)
- Make 7 Great Curveball Throws: Shellos encounter (West or East variant at random)
- Spin 10 Pokestops or Gyms: 10x Pokeball
- Transfer 5 Pokemon: 3x Pinap Berry
Like the rest of the event, these field missions will spawn from PokeStops and Gyms at random until Tuesday, August 17th at 8pm local time for you. If you already have a quest, you’ll still be able to complete it after that time.
Other Ultra Unlock 2021 Space Event Changes: Eggs, Spawns, & Raids
If all those missions weren’t enough for you, in addition the Ultra Unlock 2021 event has one major difference: it changes a lot of spawn and Pokemon activity right across Pokemon Go for the duration of the event – which again, to be clear, is through August 17th at 8pm your local time.
The broad idea behind the event is that space itself is becoming distorted, leading to Pokemon appearing in places they usually don’t. This means that region-exclusive variants of Pokemon that are usually mutually exclusive – such as Heatmor and Durant – can now appear together in all regions around the world – admittedly for only a limited time.
These Pokemon spawning behavior changes are reflected in wild spawns, but also in 7km Egg Hatches and the Pokemon that appear in raids. Here’s who you can expect to pop up for the duration of the event:
The following Pokemon have increased rates of wild spawning during the Ultra Unlock 2021 event’s part 2:
- Basculin (blue & red stripe variants)
7km Egg Hatch Additions during Ultra Unlock 2021:
- Shellos (West & East Sea variants)
- Basculin (blue & red stripe variants)
Ultra Unlock 2021 Raid Pokemon additions:
- Unown U (1-star)
- Shellos (West & East Sea variants / 1-star)
- Elgyem (1-star)
- Espurr (1-star)
- Alakazam (3-star)
- Kangaskhan (3-star)
- Heracross (3-star, shiny form newly released)
- Palkia (5-star, new shiny form released)
- Mega Ampharos (Mega)