Today during the Epic Games Store Spring Showcase, Frogwares debuted their first gameplay teaser showing Sherlock Holmes Chapter One in action running on Unreal Engine 4.
In Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, you play as a younger, 21-year-old Sherlock trying to solve the death of his mother in the main quest. There are five main quests in the game that are connected through one continuous story. You can expect more than 30 side quests, some as large as the main ones.
It will also take around 12 to 15 hours to beat the main story, and maybe 40 to 50 hours for the full game. You can expect to investigate incidents that occur on the island each with different stories. Plus, like in Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments, you can accuse the wrong person due to having more than one different suspect. This means it is possible to fail your investigation, still, the story will continue whether you have accused the wrong person or not.
Along with puzzle-solving, Sherlock will be doing a bit of fighting as well, but only when it makes sense for the character.
Here’s more on Sherlock Holmes Chapter One:
- The Man Before: As a cavalier young Sherlock on the precipice of adulthood, you’ll earn your reputation in a way no game or story has explored before. We’ve never seen the youthful arrogance and naiveté of the man before the legend—now you’re living it.
- Global Investigation: You never know where your next clue will come from. Explore and exploit the entire city in your pursuit of truth, using clues, rumors, disguises, labels, and pinned evidence to build a solid case within your mind palace.
- And Stay Down: Weapons might help you in a pinch, but there’s something to be said for style—and you have it in spades. Spot enemy vulnerabilities with your brilliant observation skills, or exploit the environment to take someone down while keeping your own hands clean.
- A Different Jon: Before John Watson, there was a different Jon – your best and only friend. But who is he, really?
- A Darkening Tide: A vibrant open-world island in the Mediterranean promises anything but paradise. Political corruption and crime run rampant while the islanders cling to tradition and eschew outsiders, making your job even more difficult.
- Truth and Lies: There are two sides to every story, and the proud islanders have their own ideas about truth and justice. It’s up to you to decide whether uncovering the truth will do more harm than good—and how that will shape the man you’ll become.
Frogwares says the game is planned for release simultaneously on Epic, Steam, GOG, and consoles (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S).
You can expect a full gameplay trailer sometime next month.